Develop provides a placement and surety service for parents, schools, colleges and alternative learning providers across Bedfordshire and Milton Keynes from our database of approved companies.
A students Work Experience is intended to give them the opportunity to experience working life and develop employability skills needed in the workplace.
The common principles of the high quality work experience placements that Develop aim to provide are that:
- it is purposeful, substantial, offers challenge and is relevant to either the young person’s career aspirations, future pathway or curriculum subject
- it is managed under the direction of a supervisor to ensure the young person obtains a meaningful experience suited to their needs
- it has a plan for the duration of the placement which provides soft outcomes for the student and employer
- it includes a view to the hard and soft skills required for that occupational sector
- it has clear roles, responsibilities and expectations for the student and employer
- it is followed by some form of reference or feedback from the employer based on the young person’s performance
- it has some form of reflection from the young person on the quality of the placement
Each student submits a number of placement preferences and Develop strives to provide a placement that matches one of these within the limits of what is available.
Factors which can affect a placement:
- the demands for very popular occupational work sectors such as dentistry or law
- the benefit to a student’s education and future pathway, rather than for job sampling or recruitment purposes.
If a work experience placement brings to light that a student wishes to change their future pathway based on the insight they have gained they should seek further impartial advice and guidance about the options available.
For more details please see our Work Experience Policies and Further information document.